Question
Posted by: fourstar | 2007/07/26

Puppy eating poo

I have a great dane puppy, which I got a week ago. I noticed on the first day that he licked his poo, although not everytime. I have also started wondering if it has eaten it as well as I smell that it has made one, but cannot find it. I have it on the same diet that it was on before, which is the Vet's Choice Puppy food for large breeds. I have never had a puppy that did this before.
Any advice?

You will need to clean up after him. Most dogs get into a routine of toilet use and so you cna anticipate when he is going to go and clean up after him and reward him for not touching it.

4
Posted by: fourstar | 2007/08/10

Thanks for the advice everyone. He seems to have stopped this habit, although I'm not sure what happens when I am at work.
I am looking into training as well.

Reply to fourstar
Posted by: Dizzy | 2007/07/30

My dog started eating poo very early on and it took us until she was nearly a year old to get her to stop. I have spoken to dog trainers and it is fairly normal for puppies to eat poo. It's like a child - it learns by tasting things.

What did really help me out with my dog, was taking her to puppy classes. She learnt a lot about obedience and I learnt how to get her to listen to me. After that it was much easier to get her to stay away from it. She learns about what "no" is and what "yes" is in puppy class and in that way you can help her stop eating poo.

Also check her diet. Dogs sometimes smell some undigested nutrition in the poo and that is why they eat it. Make sure your dog is getting the nutrition is needs! I put my dog on Hills and it's excellent.

Hope it helped...

Reply to Dizzy
Posted by: Chill | 2007/07/26

Nothing to do with boredom. Dogs do this because they like it. It's been discussed so often on here that it has its own category over there on the right - read up a bit, and see.

The only advice is to discourage him by removing any droppings before he can get to them - bit hard, I know. It's nothing to do with his food/diet/boredom, though, so rest easy on that.

Reply to Chill
Posted by: Momof3 | 2007/07/26

Hi Fourstar.
He is bored.Play with him and give him hooves to chew.That will help him cut his teeth and keep him busy for awhile.
Also take him for walks every day. A big dog like that needs his excercise. He should stop.

Reply to Momof3