Question
Posted by: shaz | 2004/09/22

puppy dead billary

please give me more info on the type of billary that killed my 5 month old puppy today. he was fine and perky this morning, fitting at ten in vets by half past ten and dead by four this afternoon. he explained it as cerebral billary and said it was very rare. i need to know more. he had no symptoms -gums pink and eye whiteand eating well????????????

I am very sorry to hear about your puppy. This type of biliary is the normal biliary parasite, however in this case it affected the brain as one of its complications. Biliary parasites will normally attack the blood cells and result in progressive anaemia, and ultimately death as a result of severe anaemia. In some cases, called the complicated cases, other complications may set in and other organs may be targeted. These include the brain, the kidneys, the muscles, the intestinal tract, the lungs, the immune system, the liver, etc. The brain and lung form is probably some of the worst complications that we see, and is associated with an extremely high fatality rate. Very often, death may follow within hours after the first signs of illness appeared. This type of complication luckily is, but very often fatal. Apart from the normal prevention of ticks getting on to your dog, there was nothing else you could have done.

Dr Malan van Zyl
Veterinary Specialist Physician
Cape Town

3
Posted by: Cybervet | 2004/10/02

Sorry, the above post should read :" this type of complication luckily is RARE, but very often fatal.

Dr Malan van Zyl
Veterinary Specialist Physician
Cape Town

Reply to Cybervet
Posted by: Davina | 2004/09/23

I am so sorry to hear about you devastating day Shaz. I have come across Biliary many times with my rescue dogs, especially this time of the year. Chill is right, it always strikes fast and you did your best.

At least you went to the vet, some people just leave it and find their dog dead later!

Believe me, the details won't help your pain but take what you have learned about the disease and educate others so it may help other pups.

My heart is with you.

Reply to Davina
Posted by: Chill | 2004/09/22

This whole billiary thing has come up before... the problem is that it develops at a very quick rate.

I'll never forget taking my dog to the vet when I just SUSPECTED she might be ill - I wasn't even sure. He diagnosed billiary, said it was totally treatable and that she'd be fine - but then he said if I'd waited even a few hours, it might have been too late.

I try to tell people about this, because it's perfectly normal to think: 'let's wait till morning and we'll see how the dog is'. In the case of biliary, that is not OK.

In a case like this, it sounds as though there really wasn't much warning at all and that there probably wasn't a whole lot more you could have done. I know it's shocking and you must be very upset - it's every pet-owner's nightmare.

If you put the words 'biliary' or 'babesiosis' into Google, you'll find a whole lot more info out there.

Meantime - this probably won't help, but don't feel too bad. You did what you could, and it's not your fault it all went so quickly. Give yourself a bit of time, and then go and get another dog - even if right now you may think it's not worth the heartache, you know that isn't true. Good luck.

Reply to Chill