Question
Posted by: new | 2007/03/31

Puppy

I know this might be a silly question but I only got a puppy yesterday. It's a 8 week old Boston Terrier. I would like to know how much I should feed him and how often because he seems extremely hungry every time I give him food and I feel like I gave him a lot yesterday already and he was still going on as if he needs lots more! I'm just scared that I'll give him too much or too little. I'm currently feeding him the soft eukanuba intestinal can food. The amount of food they suggest at the back of the eukanuba puppy food (the pills) is only something like a 100g is that enough? I think this little bugger would die if I only gave him that little food! Thanks for any help! I don't want to jeapordise my puppy's life by making him too fat or feeding him too little..

Please weigh him and feed him according to the instructions of the Eukanuba packet.

1
Posted by: Chill | 2007/04/02

The dry puppy food is best, and the amount you feed depends on the weight of the dog - so you need to calculate this and adjust it upwards as the pup grows.

100 grams of dry food doesn't seem like a lot, but once it absorbs fluid, as it will, it swells up considerably and goes a long way to filling the pup's tum. You can easily prove this to yourself by soaking a handful in warm water and watching what happens.

Puppies are programmed to gulp up as much food as they can in a short time - this is obviously so that they can get enough when there's competition from their littermates around. Don't mistake this greediness for hunger though!

You don't say whether he's been vaccinated yet - if not, get that done and then discuss his diet with your vet at the same time.

Growing puppies eat quite a bit - you'll see that once he's fully grown, his appetite will taper off a bit. You're also quite right not to want him to gain too much weight - but you also don't want him hungry.

Reply to Chill