Question
Posted by: J | 2008/01/21

Puppies and Kittens "sold" at road side

Hi all

As reported on News24 there are hawkers standing on the corners of the major intersections in Jhb North (William Nicol, Main Rd, Witkoppen and probably others) with kittens and puppies in their arms.

They either have signs around their necks stating that if the puppies / kittens are not bought (by passing motorists) they will kill them by the end of the day, or they approach motorists directly telling them to buy them for as much as R400!

These poor babies are skinny and flea ridden and who knows what else.

I drove past one such hawker a few weeks ago (before I knew the exact story) and the kittens he was holding look terrified.
I would have stopped had I known, though as a single woman it may be unsafe.

The SPCA in the area have been notified and have asked motorists to try their best to get the animals away from these monsters when they see it happening, and not pay them anything.

I myself have heard of a couple of guys driving around the area armed with cricket bats looking for these people.

So all you animal lovers out there please keep your eyes open to such things.

Thank you.

We hope the SPCA will get this practice under control as it is always the animals that suffer.

3
Posted by: Blaah | 2008/01/21

hmmmm guess what i wll be adding to the stuff i drive around with in my car
if i see one of those people i swear i will mace them and bang them over the head with a pole and make off with the animals.

Reply to Blaah
Posted by: Mandi | 2008/01/21

I'm one of those people with a baseball bat in the car...and I know how to use it.

Reply to Mandi
Posted by: Lisa | 2008/01/21

Oh my word.... thats horrible.

Reply to Lisa