Question
Posted by: Ray | 2007/05/03

Puppies

I have 4 boerbull puppies and they will be 1 month old 2moro. I have started them on Eukanuba because they were not getting enough milk from the mother (they are her first puppies, I think she doesn't know how to care for them). My question is, when should I take the puppies to the vet for vaccination?

Please put them on Eukanuba large breed puppy food and feed them according to the instructions. They can have their first vaccinations from about 6 weeks and can be wormed then as well. They will need 2 more vaccines about a month apart from each other and then annual boosters.

4
Posted by: WR | 2007/05/03

Hi Ray,

Yeap, it is tough to let them go. Just a note on giving the pups to your parents and your brother; 2 Puppies from the same litter could end up fighting viciously - even if they are male and female (sibling rivalry). Females tend to 'mature' faster than males (as in humans...haha) and by the the time that the male reaches 2-2,5 years old, and thus becomes mature and dominant, the female could try and still dominate him. Most males wouldn't stand for this, and that is usually where the fights start. having them fixed at a young age could prevent this, but it is not a "sure way" to prevent it.
Maybe you can inform the new owners too keep an eye on the pups for signs of dominance...or even worse, fighting.

Good luck!

Reply to WR
Posted by: Ray | 2007/05/03

Thanks KAZ and WR.
By the way, WR, I read your comments regarding breeding. You are so right. I am one of those people who shudnt try it. We had promised my parents and my brother to give them 2 puppies each, but right now I am so attached to my puppies, I am begging my husband to let me keep them. I cannot imagine giving them away

Reply to Ray
Posted by: WR | 2007/05/03

Hi Ray,

They should go for their first vaccinations at 6 weeks old and then the Vet will indicate when they should come for the boosters - usually a month after the first vaccination. You can have them dewormed at 4 weeks old already - but then it is usually only against roundworm. Have them dewormed again at 6 weeks when you take them for their first vaccines - this time with a broader spectrum de-wormer.

Good luck!

Reply to WR
Posted by: KAZ | 2007/05/03

The last time my mom's dog at puppies my father took them for the their first innoculations at 6 weeks and then at 8 weeks. The new owners of the puppies then have to take them for their 12 week innoculations. Also depending on when the puppies are taken by the new owners then the owners would then take the puppies for their second innoculations at 8 weeks. That is far as I know. Oh before I forget deworming before giving them to the new owners. My parents had a female corgi and at 4 or 5 weeks (can't remember) got their tails docked, something I don't believe in as I think it is cruel. I know that some boerbull owners have had this done to their pups.

Reply to KAZ