Question
Posted by: Candy | 2007/12/06

Pulse rate

Hi, I am a 57 year woman have been very fit all my life. I have always had a pulse rate of between 55 - 60. Due to recently having a back op (3 months ago) I have been unable to excerise as much as I would like to. However, my blood pressure is 124/82 but my pulse right is frighfully high, 108! Yesterday it was 115!! What on earth could be causing this and should I take it seriously or not?
thanks

Hi Candy

A couple of things - one possibility that you're just battling a slight infection. It's quite possible that as you read this, a day later, you're laid low in bed with a bit of a viral infection. That would be one explanation for the higher than usual heart rate.

The other is the timing of the measuremen - you have to standardize this, and I guess it's possible that you've measured it at different times.

But by itself a high heart rate is nothing major or anything to worry about, you do perhaps need to monitor it over the next little while and check the timing of that measurement.

Ross

1
Posted by: Susi | 2008/06/30

I would like to know about my low pulse rate and the possible causes. I am a C5/C6 Incomplete Quadriplegic and my resting pulse rate is 24 per minute.

Reply to Susi