Question
Posted by: Caroline | 2004/11/02

"pulmonary oedema" or "water on the lungs"

My dog, a German Shepard, has been diagnosed with water on the lungs, an enlarged spleen and liver. He cannot be operated on because his heart valves are leaking.

Medically the vet cannot do anything so I'm looking at alternative methods. Please can you provide more info about any recommendations or suggestions for healing ?

His name is Brutus and currently 8 years old.

If the cause of the water on the lungs (pulmonary oedema) is as result of leaky heart roles, this can be treated very successfully with medication, depending on the exact cause and complications associated. Sometimes the liver and spleen may be enlarged if the right side of the heart is also affected (disease of the left side of the heart result in pulmonary oedema). Once again, treatment can be very successful, but for variable periods of time. If your vet cannot assist, request referral to a specialist that deals with heart and related medical conditions.

Dr Malan van Zyl
Veterinary Specialist Physician
Cape Town