Question
Posted by: dec | 2003/12/11

pulmonary embolism?

An acquaintance has alarmed me by suggesting I have a pulmonary embolism. I am middle-aged, fat and unfit. However, my blood tests are all normal (3 months ago). I have had a vague, tight-feeling ache in my chest, through to my back, up my neck, sometimes to my jaw, sometimes across to my shoulders, for the past couple of weeks. I do get very out of breath when i exert myself such as climbing several flights of stairs. I am just getting started on an exercise regime but am now afraid to go ahead in case I have a clot. I have alot o fibre in my diet and have cut down on fats and refined carbs, although I have yet to lose weight.What do you think is wrong?

Dec, pulmonary embolism is usually accompanied by severe chest pain and shortness of breath. The best would be to see your doctor and make sure that it isn’t due to pulmonary embolism or a heart problem before you start exercising again. Good luck.