Question
Posted by: jan | 2004/01/19

puffy ankles

All annual health checks say I'm fine except for a degree of insulin resistance which I control by careful eating, and which may disappear once I manage to lose more weight. I am overweight, female, going through menopause (no problems, no hrt), not as fit as I should be. I want to know why I have puffy ankles more and more frequently after days when I am on my feet a lot eg shopping, even countryside walking, also after air travel. The puffy ankles are accompanied by burst blood vessels which of course then lead to bruising. I first noticed the puffiness some ten years ago but the broken blood vessels only started about three years ago. My 80 year old mother has had puffy ankles for many years. Considering my ok health checks, should I be concerned? What is the cause of the condition?

Jan, it could be due to the first stages of heart failure, kidney problems, high blood pressure, liver (protein) problems, blood flow problems and a whole host of other more obscure reasons. The problem is that I can’t tell you which one it is from this side of the screen. The best would be to see a specialist physician and have him make sure that nothing serious is the matter. Good luck.