Posted by: maj | 2008/09/25

public water fountains

Today, my 8 year old son chose not to get a drink from the school water fountain and when the teacher asked why, he said that his mother didn' t like him to drink from water fountains. She followed up by rolling her eyes at him.
We have an older son who has Spina Bifida, has a trach and on a vent at night. He has been hospitalized a few times for pneumonia, mrsa and needing surgeries such as chest tubes etc. Therefore, our family is very germ conscious.
My questions is, are we just being paranoid?

Expert ImageEnviroHealth expert

I'm assuming here you mean a drinking water fountain (i.e. as opposed to a decorative public water fountain)?

The risks from drinking water fountains are low, but that said, there have been a few cases of contamination and disease outbreaks from them. Your family is also in a special category, where you have to be particularly careful, so I don't think it's excessive for your younger son to follow this simple rule.