Posted by: depressed | 2007/12/21


I was diagnosed with depression years ago and although I have been treated with cipralex for 6 months at a time, i keep having relapses. the medication has helped a lot with the moods but in 5 years I have had to go back on the mes 3 times. but my gp has advised me to start seeing a psychologist or phsychiatrist as he thinks I might have PTSD (I was absued as a child regularly by a family member). BUt my problem is I have no idea where to find a therapist. please could someone advise where and how I start looking for one. Thank you

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageCyberShrink

I wish so many doctors wouldn't be so obsessed with Cipralex, which is merely one among many antidepressants, and doesn't suit everyone. CBT therapy would be more likely to help, and with recurrent depression, something like some mood stabilizers. I hope, with a story like yours, you are seeing a proper psychiatrist rather than a GP. Definitely see a good psychiatrist locally and ask about CBT ( Cognitive-Behaviour Therapy ). Don't see a psychologist who is excessively interested purely in matters of child abuse, as they seem to be less successful than someone with broader interests and experience. And surely your GP can recommend a good local psychiatrist ? He cannot possibly be practising competently without knowing several that he finds good and reliable with the people he refers to them

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Our users say:
Posted by: Maria | 2007/12/21

You can try Lifeline: 0861 322 322 or the Depression and Anxiety Group helpline: 8am-8pm (011) 783 1474/6. Try to find a therapist who uses Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT). If you mention in which area you are, perhaps another forum user can refer you to someone specific.

Reply to Maria

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.