Question
Posted by: noo | 2004/10/12

Psyllium Husk Fibre

HELLO DOC!!!

i suffer from a spastic colon, been to a gastrornterologist, etc, and he has put me on alvercol, wich doesnt really work! before i went the doctor/specialist, to relieve the constipation and severeloating, i used Psyllium Husk Fibre stuff(colon Cleanse) which really works well for me. Im really NOT keen on going the laxative route...cause that really messes up your system and eventually i will have to rely on them like everyday...i respect my body, and dont want want to damage it in that way! so, what i am asking is,...is it ok that i take the husk cleanser like every second day?
i usually take it with a full glass of water, 2 tsp, no more... and by lunch time i am relieved by the bloating etc..
i understand that the colon cleanse is ALL NATURAL that is why i chose to use that rather than the chemical route!
also, is there such a thing as relying on the husks..like relying on laxatives?will my body no longer respond as well as it does now to the husk mixture, if i increase my intake to one evey two days?
i have slightly high cholestrol, and i understand that the husk fibre may assist in reducing my cholestrol?

i really do eat healthy, have to actually, because my colon is VERY sensitive.

thanks so so much for your time!!
xox

Dear Noo
If you find that the psyllium husk does give the required results then you can probably continue with this treatment every second day as you suggest. The problem about taking any kind of laxative every day is that it can result in loss of natural bowel function. Psyllium husk and products like Fybogel do work reasonably well as they swell up like dietary fibre and stimulate the bowel's peristaltic movement. Psyllium products can, however, bind minerals and prevent their uptake, so don't overdo its use. Please keep two things in mind a) the Alvercol your dr prescribed in NOT a laxative but an antispasmodic which can help to relieve the problems associated with spastic colon by making your bowels relax - so I would recommend that you try it out b) do not fall into the trap of believing that all os the so-called 'natural' laxatives which you can buy over-the counter or at a health shop are not potentially harmful they are just as capable of causing loss of natural bowel function, constant diarrhoea, deficiencies of important minerals and vitamins, etc. The term 'natural' is no guarantee that these products will not be harmful.

1
Posted by: ven | 2004/10/13

I have the same problem now i am on zelnorm very expensive but work like a bom, no cramps i feel alive again ask your doc about zelnorm, i believe it is a miracle pill.
it work for me no more problems

Reply to ven