Question
Posted by: sa 20 | 2004/10/18

psychosematic?

I recently began suffering from unbearable back pain and after a physiotherapist a chiropractor an orthopedic surgeon and a neurologist the doctors diagnosed that my back pain was psychosomatic and I should seek counseling.. I studied psychology at my university and was under the impression that a psychosomatic illness occurs due to increased stress or depression, I was also under the impression that a psychosomatic disorder such as back pain would be noticed during times of high stress… mine is felt after long car trips, when I have been lying in an awkward position or if I knock it accidentally.. after being told it was psychosomatic I have been keeping a journal of times I have experienced pain in my back. It is a very specific pain in-between vertebra t4 and t5. Is it possible that the group of doctors were simply unable to find the source of my pain? Or is my understanding of the causes and symptoms of psychosomatic illnesses incorrect?

Even if there is a clear and obvious physical "cause" for backache, psychosomatic facotrs can play a very large part, as stress, Anxiety and depression are terrific amplifiers of any sort of pain, as well as causing some even without physical causes ; so counselling and working on that approach can help, in any case. It's usually a bad idea to see the causes of su8ch problems as EITHER physical OR psychological --- almost always, it's both. The interplay can be complex, and it's worth using combined approaches to help.
I periodically suffer severe backache problems, myself, and have noticed both episodes which do arise at times of psychological stress, episodes which arise after obvious unwise physical strain, and episodes that arise for no apparent reason whatever. And periods when there is no problem at all.

1
Posted by: JM | 2004/10/19

Do a search on yahoo at the medical library about the following:

Fibromyalgia Syndrome
Myofacial Syndrome.

Let me know if it helped.

JM

Reply to JM