Question
Posted by: Broken | 2005/11/27

Psychologist issue

I have been seeing a psychologist that seems to be doing a good job and definitely asking some good questions but sincerely I don't feel that I want to discover things from my past. I want to put the past behind me and instead concentrate on changing the weaker and more estructive ways I think so as to adjust my behaviour to make a better me. I want to move forward and not sit and go over the same things about my past which sincerely weren't that bad. What do i do here? How do i tell this psychologist that I don't want to spend hours talking about the past and trying to figure out how it made me feel and why I am the way I am today. I know what it is about me today that I woulld like to change and want to learn to do that.

I agree with your viewpoint, and that's why I promote CBT ( COgnitive-Behaviour Therapy ) style of counselling, and not the old-fashioned and disporved analytical " let's spend 5 yers talking about your past " model. ALL that matters NOW, is not the past, but what conclusions and ideas you have formed on that basis which you are carrying with you into the future, and which may not be fruitful in promoting your happiness and siccess in the future. ANY psychologist who dwells on the past in this way is irresponsibly old-fashioned and not apparently aware of newer developments and research showing that CBT works and analysis or past-dwelling does NOT.
Simply tell him, politely but firmly that you do not intend to spend any more time digging over past events as it is not in the least helpful to you, and that you want a CBT approach working in the present in changing how you work with current life events, and changing this mode of interaction with your world for the better. Tell him you have seen no evidence that digging round in the past is ultimaely helpful, and you know there is loads of evidence that CBT approaches are highly and lastingly successful. If he cannot work in this mode, then ask him to refer you to a psychologist locally who CAN do CBT. Otherwise, like all analysts you could be spinning your whells in this manner for years to come.