Posted by: Mark | 2007/07/23

Psychologist and psyciatrist

What is the difference between the 2 and when should you go to each


Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageCyberShrink

A psychiatrist also has full medical training, can handle physical as well as mental problems, and is allowed to prescribe drugs ( which a psychologist can't do ). A psychologist is necessarily more skilled at counselling and psychotherapy

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Our users say:
Posted by: Tracy | 2007/07/23

Hi Mark,

The essential difference between the two being the following:

A Psychologist deals with your emotional wellbeing and helps to deal with trauma, emotional problems.

A Psyciastrist deals with your mental wellbeing, Things like bad depression/psycosis/bi-polar etc.

As for when you should see each, my suggestion is start with the Psychologist, if he/she cannot assist they will refer you to a psyciatrist.

I hope this assists you, I asked the same question when my son was seen by one and then refered to the other.

Good luck with what troubles your mind...

Reply to Tracy
Posted by: Echelle | 2007/07/23

If you're really really koekoe then go to a psychiatrist, they will give you lots and lots of pills too....

Reply to Echelle

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.