Question
Posted by: Mark | 2007/07/23

Psychologist and psyciatrist

What is the difference between the 2 and when should you go to each

Mark

A psychiatrist also has full medical training, can handle physical as well as mental problems, and is allowed to prescribe drugs ( which a psychologist can't do ). A psychologist is necessarily more skilled at counselling and psychotherapy

2
Posted by: Tracy | 2007/07/23

Hi Mark,

The essential difference between the two being the following:

A Psychologist deals with your emotional wellbeing and helps to deal with trauma, emotional problems.

A Psyciastrist deals with your mental wellbeing, Things like bad depression/psycosis/bi-polar etc.

As for when you should see each, my suggestion is start with the Psychologist, if he/she cannot assist they will refer you to a psyciatrist.

I hope this assists you, I asked the same question when my son was seen by one and then refered to the other.

Good luck with what troubles your mind...

Reply to Tracy
Posted by: Echelle | 2007/07/23

If you're really really koekoe then go to a psychiatrist, they will give you lots and lots of pills too....

Reply to Echelle