Question
Posted by: Richard | 2006/11/11

Psychologist

Hi there I am a seventeen year old boy, I suffer from sever depression I am currently on medication and I am seeing a psychologist but my problem is that my pschologist is male and he has unfortunatly just become too busy and on one occasion when i was at school he was away in cape town and I am in durban I went through a very bad stage and I needed to see someone very quickly and urgently so the school becuase I am at boarding school took me to a collegeue of my pschologist who is a female and with all due respect nothing against females but I feel more comfortable with a male and can relate and find them easier to speak to. How do I tell this lady who is seeing me now that I do want to see a male without hurting her or her getting the wrong impression

Its a personal thing : some of us feel more comfortable and confident with a male counsellor or therapist, and others of us feel more comfortable with a female ( whether we ourselves are male or female ) --- and within those broader categories sometimes you and the psychologist just "click" and get on wel together, and sometimes somehow you don't quite fit together. If the woman you are seeing now is a skilled and experienced shrink, she should understand this, and should appreciate that it is no criticism of her that you may well get on better with a male psychologist. Is it practival to go back to the original shrink ? Maybe discuss this with her at the next session, making it clear, as you did here, that you don't want her to feel hurt, and admire her capabilities, but that you feel more comfortable with a male psychologist, and would she mind arranging for you to see either the original shrink, or some other male colleage --- she ought to be content to arrange that for you