Question
Posted by: Ash | 2005/12/14

Psychological Problem

Hi Doc,
I do have a Stuttering Problem.
But when I do at times Masturbate, there is a part of me that becomes so full of guilt and Anxiety that when I do talk over the Telephone OR meet someone for the first time, I become tense and have difficulty with saying my name.
I am single, 31yrs guy, who has been for speech therapy about 6yrs and I now realise that this problem is more psychological in nature.
Are there CBT-oriented psychologists in KZN??
Any Advice is also Appreciated.

There certainly ought to be CBT oriented therapists in KZN< but I don't know how to find them, other than calling local shrinks and asking their receptionist. Don't feel guilty about masturbation --- 98 % of men do it, and the other 2 % are lying about it. But it sounds as if the primar problem might be one of social anxiety rather than stuttering as such, and combining CBT with some medication could make a really large difference !