Posted by: Minky | 2007/05/26

Psychological help

Do I need to get revered to a psychologist by a gp or can I make an appointment by myself with someone in my area? And what is the general fee for a consultation more or less?

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageCyberShrink

Traditionally, and probably still officially, nobody is supposed to see any specialist without a referral from another doctor, usually a GP. But sensibly, I think, this practice seems to be waning. So long as people don't abuse the practice, it saves a lot in costs and time, for someone to see a specialist directly, and it seems to me that nowadays most specialists, including psychologists and psychiatrists, are prepared to accept self-referrals. As I am not in private practice at present, I have lost track of the current consultation fee, but I'm sure other readers can inform you on that --- and do ask the receptionist when you call to ask about an appointment.

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Our users say:
Posted by: Gen | 2007/05/26

As far as I know, a GP don't have to refer you to a psychologist, you can just make an appointment with one.

Reply to Gen

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.