Question
Posted by: Minky | 2007/05/26

Psychological help

Do I need to get revered to a psychologist by a gp or can I make an appointment by myself with someone in my area? And what is the general fee for a consultation more or less?

Traditionally, and probably still officially, nobody is supposed to see any specialist without a referral from another doctor, usually a GP. But sensibly, I think, this practice seems to be waning. So long as people don't abuse the practice, it saves a lot in costs and time, for someone to see a specialist directly, and it seems to me that nowadays most specialists, including psychologists and psychiatrists, are prepared to accept self-referrals. As I am not in private practice at present, I have lost track of the current consultation fee, but I'm sure other readers can inform you on that --- and do ask the receptionist when you call to ask about an appointment.

1
Posted by: Gen | 2007/05/26

As far as I know, a GP don't have to refer you to a psychologist, you can just make an appointment with one.

Reply to Gen