Question
Posted by: G | 2008/06/25

psychological effects of contraceptive?

Hi CS,

Have you ever heard of any examples of negatice psychological effects of the contraceptive injection?

I started on the injection about 6 weeks ago as I was having a skin reaction to the pill. I am really fealing very down and the thought of suicide almost seems a comfort a few times a week.

Although my life is not going 100% the way I would like too, there is nothing techincally speaking that could be considered too much to cope with.

Would appreciate your thoughts on this injection possibly causing severe depression in me at the moment?

ANY of these products which affect your hormonal levels ( and without doing that, they would not be contraceptives ) can indeed affect your mood. I haven't found any good recent studies of this, but wonder whether the reaction to the injection might vary with time after the injection ( whether maybe there is more hormone available soon after the injection rather than later, eg ). Your gynae, using this method so often, should be familiar with the latest research on this, and should be better able to inform you on relative risks --- and maybe our own Gynaedoc