Question
Posted by: Dino | 2004/10/10

PSYCHIATRIST OR PSYCHOLOGIST?

Dear CS, for my anxiety disorder/panic attacks - who should I consult? Would a GP be able to prescribe the meds and the treatment (refer to psychologist) or should I visit a Psychiatrist for both?

Hi Dino,
because anxiety disorder / panic attacks can respond so well to medication like some antiodepressants (ADs), maybe it'd be best to start by seeing a psychiatrist, who may be able to do both that and psychotherapy ( though your GP can start meds and discuss with you, select, and refer to, a suitable psychologist, or a psychiatrist, who does suitable psychotherapy.

1
Posted by: ano | 2004/10/10

I think the psychiatrist would do the job just fine-if he feels you will need some sort of therapy-then he can refer you to a good psychologist.
This sort of thing can be sorted with the correct type of medication-so good luck.

Reply to ano