Posted by: Dino | 2004/10/10


Dear CS, for my anxiety disorder/panic attacks - who should I consult? Would a GP be able to prescribe the meds and the treatment (refer to psychologist) or should I visit a Psychiatrist for both?

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageCyberShrink

Hi Dino,
because anxiety disorder / panic attacks can respond so well to medication like some antiodepressants (ADs), maybe it'd be best to start by seeing a psychiatrist, who may be able to do both that and psychotherapy ( though your GP can start meds and discuss with you, select, and refer to, a suitable psychologist, or a psychiatrist, who does suitable psychotherapy.

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Our users say:
Posted by: ano | 2004/10/10

I think the psychiatrist would do the job just fine-if he feels you will need some sort of therapy-then he can refer you to a good psychologist.
This sort of thing can be sorted with the correct type of medication-so good luck.

Reply to ano

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.