Question
Posted by: Newton | 2005/07/21

psychiatric sister gives advise to bipolar sufferer, me

After waiting forever to hope to see the doctor at our local clinic in Bellville and having phoned three weeks earlier for an appointment to see the doctor. After waiting a life time (to a bipolar sufferer) and after pulling all my hair out due my manic episodes. I eventually got to the clinic.

No doctor, but the psychiatric sister. "How are you doing "she asked. "Not well " . THE BEST HELP. "Maybe if you shaved you will feel better". To the minister of health I just would like to say
THANK YOU.

Good Grief, Newton ! At least she didn't recommend garlic ! Mabe the nurse would have given better advice is she had shaved, instead. Mind you, shaving and letting yourself feel better isn't a bad idea, just absurdly inadequate compared with what you needed. A 3 wek waiting time isn't good, and while a psychiatrically trained nurse might be able to do some follow-up consultations, it MUST be a doctor to make the initial assessment and to decide on the treatment --- NO nurse in Sa is qualified to do that job.
You'll appreciate my proposed constitutuonal amendment that would forbid ANY Cabinet member, or MP, or politicians, or member of the staff of the Dept of Health, to EVER receive any medical treatment except from a normal state health clinic.

4
Posted by: Joanne E | 2005/07/21

there is a company that does this with retrenched execs. They invite them to a meeting and then if they pitch up unshaven, no tie, dirty shoes they send them home to clean up. Just by doing that does wonders for these depressed men and gets them out of the rut

Reply to Joanne E
Posted by: Lonestar | 2005/07/21

That is not nice, are there no other alternatives you can pursue?

Reply to Lonestar
Posted by: Paul | 2005/07/21

Just like most other things in SA, a fluke.

Reply to Paul
Posted by: Sue | 2005/07/21

I can believe it in the new and improved South Africa.

Reply to Sue