Question
Posted by: Worried | 2007/02/21

PSYCHIATRIC DRUGS - SOUTH RAND HOSPITAL

My brother, age 35, has been diagnosed (6 months) by the psychiatrist at the South Rand Hospital (Rosettenville, Johannesburg) as suffering from psychosis & anti social personality disorder. He has always experienced anxiety attacks, been very aggressive, abused alcohol and drugs (crack cocaine, glue, thinners, dagga). For the past six months he has been taking haloperidol 5mg 2x daily; prozac 40mg daily, phenerine 50mg 2-3x daily. The meds have helped him (although he seems "not altogether there"}. He has been much calmer but doesn't seem able to function on his own. He only does things if I tell him what to do. This is all good BUT NOW MY PROBLEM IS THAT SOUTH RAND HOSPITAL HAS NOT HAD THE DRUGS PRESCRIBED FOR HIM FOR THE PAST WEEK AND DO NOT WHEN THEY WILL HAVE AND DO NOT CARE! I am told to try again next week! I have asked if they could give me a prescription and I will fill it at Dischem at my own expense. It is so chaotic, disorganised and staff are plain rude and am told there are no doctors available. Was told to take his file to a private doctor if I want to! I am very concerned and would like to know what are the consequences of stopping these meds so abruptly. He stays with me and my family (husband and 12 year old son) and because of his history of violence, am afraid he will relapse.

Dear Worried
I agree with you, he should not go without medication. Ask them to make a copy of his last prescription ( or take his empty bottles) and take it your your GP, ask him to write a prescription for you to fill at Dischem - ask for generics, will be cheaper and will do the thing for the time being.