Posted by: louise | 2012/11/26

psychiatric care institutions for under 18s

Where, who provides residential care for 16 year olds who are too violent and behave too badly to continue staying at home here in south africa

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageCyberShrink

I wish there were dozens of such institutions, but I haven't yet found any one specifically providing a specialised service for this, though any good existing psych hospital should be able to cope. More specifically, the child needs to be seen and assessed by a good local psychiatrist ( you don't mention where in the land you are ) - no institution would want to accept anyone not thus assessed 000 and that shrink can then discuss with you diagnosis, treatment options, whether residential care would be helpful, and if so, which are the best available local resources for this.

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Our users say:
Posted by: Mia | 2012/11/28

Well done Linus! Kelly shame on you!

Reply to Mia
Posted by: Linus | 2012/11/27

Kelly - you really can''t help yourself being mean and nasty can you? Your comments just reflect what type of person you are for all to see - this also demonstrates your stupidity since you just confirmed just what a malevolent person you are again! And I work for myself...are''nt I lucky?!

Reply to Linus
Posted by: Lulu | 2012/11/27

Linus you deserve a Bells. Kelly obviously has all these challenges at home thus the crap she is dishing out.

Reply to Lulu
Posted by: Kelly | 2012/11/27

Linus it''s not my problem that she never elaborated now is it?
lol you sound rather angry today I must say, you work through your lunch break or something... or did the boss take a crap on you, you poor thing.

Reply to Kelly
Posted by: Linus | 2012/11/27

Kelly - you are a first class idiot. Before you trot out such rubbish again so presumptuously try and think a bit. You know nothing about the situation Louise and this 16 year old kid are in so if thats the best you can do then just shut up...

Reply to Linus
Posted by: Liza | 2012/11/27

If the child is just unruly - without psychiatric problems like Schizophrenia, then you could consider Boys Town. They''re especially equipped to handle difficult teenagers.

Good Luck

Reply to Liza
Posted by: Kelly | 2012/11/27

Does not sound like he/she needs any psychiatric care at all.
Sounds like this kid lacked being taught discipline its entire life!
Maybe he/she just needs some stern parenting, discipline and a good spanking! Ok maybe not a good spanking but you guys need to lay down the rules!

If this was my kid and he was this badly behaved I would kick him out! He could come back when manners are learnt.

I have to say though, kids dont become this way out of the blue. This happens over a long period and also I have to wonder WHY? Why does the child behave like this? Has to be one angry child... angry at who? and why?
Sounds like he def. needs help!

Honestly I have to wonder what kind of parents you guys have been to churn out this type of monster... and now you just want to dump him somewhere as if you had nothing to do with it...

If drugs are involved though then I could understand as drugs really change people and obviously he needs to get the help he needs. Does he maybe not have a drug addiction? That could explain the violence if he hasnt always been this way.

Reply to Kelly
Posted by: Milla | 2012/11/27

Your question seems a bit unclear, was the child diagnosed and treated for a spesific psychiatric condition that causes them to behave violently? It might be useful to mention what and how it has been treated up until this point and why it has suddenly become too much to handle.

There are quite a few psychiatric institutions/hospitals in South Africa. Tara, Weskoppies and Valkenberg are ones I remember. You can try visiting one of them or phoning and finding out if they provide the type of care you are looking for or if they can refer you to a more spesialised type of care program.

You can also try William Slater Adolescent Centre, though they deal more with troubled teenagers not psychiatric care.

Reply to Milla

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.