Question
Posted by: haze | 2005/12/11

Prozac tolerance

I have been on antidepressants for 14 yrs. Apart from a few variations, mostly on Prozac - for the past four years on Lillyfluoxitine. Many of the old symptoms are re-occuring and I am left wondering if my Prozac needs Prozac? I've asked to go on to "natural" alternatives, but have been told it's unwise after such a long spell.
Any suggestion?

Firstly, there ARE NO "natural" alternatives. The only "natural" remedy which has received some testing, with SOME evidence of benefits in mild depression, is St John's Wort, and that evidence is still equivocal, and ONLY applies to mild not significant depression --- and when it works, it does so apparently from the same chemical effects as Prozac, so if Prozac isnt working for you, the Wort surely wont.
There is no evidence of anyone developing "tolerance" to prozac / Fluoxetine, or to any other antidepressant. But it is conceivable that the chemical nature of a depression might alter to some extent. and become more sensitive to a different medication. What you need is to see again your psychiatrist ( or maybe seek a second opinion ) for a re-assessment of the currrent situation, and a consideration of alternative antidepressants. Fortunately there are several others which, like Prozac, have equivalent and cheaper generic versions available.

2
Posted by: sunshine | 2005/12/12

I don't agree with Cleo. I've been on Prozac for the past 17 years. The only time I wanted to commit murder (note: not suicide) was when I went off Prozac for a month!!!! Please do not believe all the stories that you read in Huisgenoot Cleo - it simply is not true!!!!

If it wasn't for Prozac (I call it my sunshine tablet) I would have been committed to an asylum years ago!!!!

THANKS PROZAC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reply to sunshine
Posted by: Cleo | 2005/12/11

There are indeed NATURAL alternatives!! But of course they will tell you otherwise. Prozac has side effects that are detrimental to one's health, either in the short or long term, suicidal tendencies for one. I suggest you continue to source a natural alternative, they are out they, believe me!

Reply to Cleo