Question
Posted by: JR | 2005/07/18

Provita and yoghurt

Hi doc,

I am trying to loose a few kilos. Story of my life! I weigh 67kg and am 1.64m tall.

My problem is that I am usually very busy at work, therefore prefer easy and quick meals, like soup and provita or yoghurt.

I read somewhere on the Weigh-less website that one should be aware that provitas and sweetened yoghurt can actually contain a lot of fat and sugar. Is this true?

What other healthier option are there?

JR

Dear JR
Your present BMI = 24,9, so it would be a good idea to lose a few kg. Your ideal weight would be 59 kg. If you compare the energy content of fat-free yoghurt sweetened with sugar that also contains fruit (426 kJ/100 ml) with that of plain, fat-free yoghurt (233 kJ/100 ml), then you will save a lot of energy by eating the unsweetened plain product. Provitas contain 1647 kJ per 100g, but one Provita only weighs about 8 g thus if you eat say 2 Provitas you would only be ingesting 263 kJ. Moderation is the key, in anything you eat so you can certainly eat 1oe 2 Provitas for a snack and have plain low-fat yoghurt.