Question
Posted by: bibs | 2004/10/19

Proteins

what other proteins can i prepare for my 1 yr old as i am sure she is getting bored of having either lean mince meat or skinless chicken with her veg, fruit inbetween and maize porridge for breakfast. Are there other proteins i could give her in a meal with her veg? also is it fine for me to use the lean meat and weigh less tinned fruits because she is overweight and i would not like to add to that. I heard you have to give full cream milk/yoghurt etc for the energy at this age and she is on her soya formula and soya yoghurt but in terms of her other foods i.e. mince/chicken does it mean the skin should be left on for a 1 yr old or can one start teaching her healthy habits now already by giving lean meats and mostly fat free products with exception of the milk of course?

A bit confusing pls clarify...

Dear Bibs
Children at 1 year of age do not miss variety in their menus, it is the adults that worry about variety and also bland flavours - one-year-olds are fine with simple, bland meals. However, you can certainly try her on fish (grilled or steamed hake, etc, or tinned pilchards, or lite fish fingers) and eggs. You can certainly use lean meat, skinned chicken and fresh and Weighless fruits for her. It is true that international experts agree that children under the age of 2 years should have full-cream milk and yoghurt to ensure that they obtain sufficient energy. Seeing that your lassie is drinking soya formula and soya yoghurt this does not apply to her. You should also check to see if she is getting the correct amount of these foods (not too much) as they have a relatively high energy content. Click on 'Child' at the top of this page and then on 'Nutrition' and read the articles on 1-year-olds - check the portion sizes and the volume of milk that is recommended as overfeeding may be contributing to her overweight. Does she walk yet? If so, encourage her to be more active as this will also help her to lose weight.