Question
Posted by: Zandi | 2006/11/09

Protein Traits in Urine

My 17 year old brother is about to go through initiation where he will be prohibited from drinking water for a week. He recently had a health check done and the doctor found protein traits in his urine.
What does this mean?What causes this? How can this be treated?Is it a symptom of a fatal disease or infection?

Zandi

Dear Zandi
Proteien in the urine can be normal in very active young men, but can be a sign of disease - the doctor will probably follow up on this. I hope that they will get some fluid in in other ways - either by drinking other drinks or eating fluid containing fruits etc. Especially in this heat your kidneys need at least 1,5 liter water per day.