Question
Posted by: no name | 2008/06/10

protein supplements

Im 15 years old, I weigh 64kg and I want to start putting on some muscle to improve my strength and my sport performance. I want to start following a diet that was recommended by a pro natural bodybuilder who visited our school last month. I need a lot more protein per day, than what I am already eating. Is it okay for me to supplement my diet with a protein shake as long as it's in moderation or are there any dangers

Expert ImageSports Nutrition

I always get worried if kids below the age of 17 get involved in body building as the body has only fully developed at that stage and it can have a negative impact should one, before that age, engage in the wrong kind of training and nutrition.

With regards to the protein intake it is a scientific fact that an athlete requires between 1.4 – 1.8g of protein per kilogram of body weight. I know body builders increase that amount to often more than 3g per kilogram of body weight. Thus at most I would recommend that you take 1, 5 g of protein at such a young age or better just eat some protein with each of the recommended six meals per day and only take one protein shake after your training. Once you get to 17 years you can increase you intake to 2g – obviously in conjunction with a vigorous training program.

Good luck and take care. I am glad that you had the sense to ask.

Vanessa