Posted by: scuba | 2004/10/10

Protein Supplements

hey Doc, Im 22, and have read, heard and listened to creatine stories of having to go to gym etc. I would like to go on a pure protein supplement by USN. I run 3 times a week and do weights and sits ups at home. I would like to build my chest, arms and stomach and tone them, not necessarily by putting on more weight. I weigh approx 83, would the protein supplement be correct or will i end up putting on excess weight and eventually everything going pear shaped.
Thanx for your time!!

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageFitnessDoc

Hi Scuba

My advice is to train first, then look at supplements later. I'm a sceptic when it comes to these products. There are one or two situations where I would recommend the use of protein shakes but not all that often. There are a couple of considerations. The first is that the protein complements the training, not the other way around, and so if you suddenly increase your protein (and hence energy) intake without training correctly, all you do is gain weight in fat mass, not muscle, and that's not desirable. So the training is critical, and it sounds to me that your focus is very much on cardio training with toning as the secondary goal up to this point. Even if you are going to change the focus of your training to try to bulk up a bit more, I think that you are going to achieve a lot more by training right to start with. You have not even begun to train for muscle gain, and so it may be that you find you really succeed on training alone, and then spending hundreds on protein drinks would be a waste. So my advice is to change the training and then a few months down the line see if you still need to take protein. Chances are you don't, because unless you are really eating very little protein in the diet, or you are going for massive bulking (think bodybuilder/powerlifter) you are unlikely to be protein deficient.

GOod luck

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.