Question
Posted by: Hanlie | 2003/03/24

Protein supplements

I am in my 11th week of the WOW programme and have seen great results. I would like to continue with the programme and wonder if the fact that I am a vegetarian could influence results in the long run. I am an ovo-lacto vegetarian and I do have milk, cheese and a yoghurt every day ( in minimal quantities as I suffer from sinus). I also try to include legumes in my diet at least three times a week. Do you think I would need a protein supplement if I continue strength training (possibly with more repetitions and heavier weights in the future) and if so, which one would you recommend?

Dear Hanlie
Well done! If you do use some milk and dairy products as well as legumes, and eat eggs, grains and cereals, then you are probably ingesting sufficient protein. You can for example try using soya milk (check in the supermarket under long-life milks for So-Fresh, a soya milk which is equivalent to cow's milk, so that you can obtain the protein without getting sinusitis). If you really feel that you want to use a protein supplement, there are many products to choose from. I would suggest something like Aminolique or USN amino acid supplement, without creatine.
Enjoy the training.