Question
Posted by: Mike S | 2003/01/24

Protein Supplement for children?

Dear Doc,
My 17 year old son is a very active swimmer who trains about 5 hours a day. He uses a protein supplement from ISN called Muscle Fuel. My daughter is also a swimmer, but is only 9, and trains three times a week. My concern is that my wife has started giving my daughter the same protein supplement each morning. Can this be harmful in any way at her age or does it in fact do her any good?

Many thanks,

Mike.

Dear Mike
Check on the label on this product if there is a warning that these product should not be taken by children, as well as pregnant or lactating women, etc. If your daughter is eating a well balanced diet and getting sufficient carbohydrate to provide the energy she needs, then she should be fine and not require such supplements at her very young age. Click on 'Diet' and 'View old diet & food site' and read the articles on 'Balanced Diet I-IV'.