Question
Posted by: Stuart | 2008/01/23

Protein requirements

I was previously on a high carb diet with very little protein.

I have read that you need 1g per every 1kg which can increase to 1,6g per kg if you do weight training etc

I weigh 100kg & do the following exercise - heavy weights 3x a week, swim every day, = 20km a week

Given my exercise how much daily protein should I have & what is the effect of not having enough protein ?
The only way I can get to consume enough protein (eg 120g) is to have at least 2 protein shakes a day - is this ok ??
I drink at least 3litres of water per day

The main "other" items in my diet consist of 3/4 cup raw oats, seeds, raisins + fat free milk split between breakfast + afternnoon snack. Lunch - normally tuna + vegs or couscos 1/3 cup.
Dinner - normally small eg some chicken + vegs or go "out" - have fish or chicken + vegs

Dear Stuart
According to Burke and Deakin, athletes who do weight training require 1.5- 1.7 g of protein/kg body weight per day during the early training phase and 1.0-1.2 g of protein/kg body weight per day in the steady state phase once the initial training is completed. Thus you need to decide which phase you are in an adjust your protein intake accordingly. I would estimate that you don't need more than about 100g of protein per day unless you are doing very serious body building. You can use protein shakes to boost your protein intake and stick to your diet which seems reasonable. Click on 'Fitness' at the top of this page and then on 'Nutrition' and read the articles on 'Diets for Sportsmen and women' with special emphasis on protein and carbs.
Good luck with the training