Question
Posted by: PIETER | 2004/11/18

Protein diets well trainning

My wife and I are on a 750 kj protein diet,for 6 weeks.We started on 15/11/2004.My problem now is we are training for the argus 108 km.we are doing about 8-10 hours training a week.Our 3rd day and we feel so dead, no energie,cramp in the legs ect.

Is this a good plan or can we land in trouble.

Dear Pieter
Your symptoms indicate that this diet is totally wrong for you and your exercise levels. Click on 'Fitness' at the top of this page and then on 'Nutrition and Supplements' and read the articles on carbohydrate and protein intake. When you are training like this it is firstly not a good idea to reduce your energy intake so drastically and also to eat protein instead of carbs. You need to switch over to a high-carb, low-fat diet if you want to train and lose weight at the same time. The carbs will give you the energy you need for the training and will not make you fat because carbs only contain 16 kJ per g, vs 37 kJ per g of fat. Click on 'Diet' at the top of this page, 'Weight loss' , ‘The right approach' and then on 'Slimming Diet' for a copy of a low-fat, high-carb diet that you can use.
Good luck with the Argus.

3
Posted by: DR | 2004/11/19

You need CARBS!!!!

Reply to DR
Posted by: Jenny | 2004/11/19

Too much protien, you need carbs to fuel your muscles and give you enegy

Reply to Jenny
Posted by: science | 2004/11/19

I guess you mean 750 kCal diet, which is WAY too little to sustain your metabolism. If you are exercising 10 h per week, you need to increase your caloric intake to at least 1500 per day, plus you need to increase your carbohydrate intake., but cut out the fats You'll still lose body fat this way, and not muscle mass as you are doing right now. A protein diet and cardiovascular exercise are a complete no-no combination. I'm sure DietDoc will enjoy answering your question.

Will see you at the Argus though! Keep up the training, and good luck!!

Reply to science