Question
Posted by: Dolla | 2004/11/04

Protein Diet

Hi everyone

Im on a high protein diet, dont eat too much fat and im still on the induction phase. I just want to know on the induction phase may i eat any foods as long as my carb intake daily stay below 20 grams or must i eat only meat, eggs and salads, veggies. Because I love crackerbread biscuits, they contain 3 carbs each and i eat 3 of them with avo and it then ads up to about 10 carbs(very litle avo, because it is small biscuits, looks like provita). I also sometimes eat a canderel chocolate that is 10 gram carbs, but always stay under 20 grams of carbs. Please help me. Dietdoc i know you are opposed to this diet, but im only doing it temporarily. I feel so much better and in my first week i lost 2 kilos and im not that much overweight. Thanks in advance!

Dear Dolla
You are quite correct - I don't like this diet and I hope you are not going to use it for long. If the instruction is to not eat more than 20 g of carbs a day, then your eating those small quantities of crackers or the chocolate will not make you exceed this dangerously low level.
Take great care

7
Posted by: Terrible | 2004/11/07

What exactly does the high proteien diet entail? Will I loose weight quickly? How do I get hold of this particular diet?

Reply to Terrible
Posted by: jack j | 2004/11/07

be warned, this is a dangerous diet, and when you stop the diet you will regain all that you lost and more. you will lose fast and the it will stop. eat healthy food and exercise every day.
there is no easy way to lose weight.

Reply to jack j
Posted by: thato | 2004/11/05

All i can tell you is that i'm on that kind of diet with injections (i know it's not right but i was desperate). When i started i weighed 83kg after just 1 week i'm 76kg. I'm not eating carbohydrates at all at this stage, they will be introduced later. This is the only thing that has ever helped me to lose weight. I her all stories about a balanced diet and exercise, it doesn't work for me. Try to cut out the carbo at all, you'll come alright.

Reply to thato
Posted by: Dolla | 2004/11/05

Thank you so much Danielle, in your opinion do you still think I will shed kilos on this low carb way im eating, limiting carbs to under 20 grams, but eating crackerbread(9 grams of carbs). Because i am losing weight, do you think it is just slower than it could be?

Reply to Dolla
Posted by: Danielle | 2004/11/04

if you are doing the atkin's nutritional approach first stage-induction, you CANNOT eat any carbs you want as long as you say within the 20g of carbs. Those carbs (crackerbreads etc) are known as complex carbs which affect your blood sugar levels, causing your body to not effectively go into ketosis (burning its own fat for energy instead of carbs consumed). I'm sure you would still loose weight successfully if you did have a canderel choc a day though, perhaps just not as quickly as if you didn't.

Reply to Danielle
Posted by: igna havenga | 2004/11/04

can someone tell me the negative points about being on dr atkins protein diet? my friend is on it for two year and according to him that is all that works for him!!!!

Reply to igna havenga
Posted by: Yolanda | 2004/11/04

I also want to try atkins and have the same question.

Reply to Yolanda