Question
Posted by: Wilma | 2007/03/30

Protein and nutrition again

I previously asked the question about 68g of protein being to liitle - am I correct in understanding that a 100g chicken breast does not constitute 100g of protein? If this is correct, could you let us know what the 100% protein percentage of foods such as 150g of steak, 70g of cheese or 120g of chicken is? Or where can we get this info?

Dear Wilma
Yes, all protein foods also contain other so-called macronutrients (e.g. carbohydrates, fats) and a high percentage of water in addition to protein. According to the SA Food Tables, 100g of chicken breast without skin contains 29g of protein, 150g of steak contains 42,5 g of protein, 70g of Cheddar cheese contains 17,5g of protein and 100g of fat-free cottage cheese contains 12,4g of protein. So if you have the 150g of steak plus the 100g of chicken on one day you will ingest 71,5g of protein which is more than the 68g RDA. If you go to: www.sahealthinfo.co.za and go to Nutrition you should find common SA foods and their protein, fat, carb and energy contents listed.