Question
Posted by: Mario | 2007/04/03

protein and exercise

Good day Doc.

Thanx for the brilliant advice you give on the forum.

I was just wondering, what would happen if you follow a high protein diet (either food high in protein or protein shakes) without doing exercise? Does the protein have a similar effect as with exercise (obviouly not exactly the same) or does it convert into fat?

Was just wondering.

Have a great day

Mario

Dear Mario
Thank you so much for your kind words - you made my day! What we need to keep in mind is that ANY food, including protein, if eaten in excess will cause weight gain. Also people gain weight when their daily energy intake exceeds their daily energy output. So let's say that Mr X eats lots of protein or drinks protein shakes all day and this food intake pushes his energy intake to about 3000 cal or 12600 kJ/day and he is totally inactive, then this protein would cause weight gain. Conversely, if Mr X only ate sufficient protein or drank sufficient protein shakes to provide about 2000 cal or 8400 kJ/day then he would probably start losing weight even if he is inactive.
Hope this helps