Question
Posted by: Romijn | 2008/01/22

Protein

Good day,

I am 22 years old. I will be participating in a "Daniel Fast" for 21 days. No meat, refined suger, eggs or any dairy products are allowed. I can eat any vegetables, whole grains, fruit, water, tea's and 100% pure fruit juice. I would like to know what the impact of the "no animal protein" will have on my health. When I eat normal I don't include alot of meat or dairy products at all, I don't really like it, but I use it some days. I do eat alot of different seeds now that I am on this fast. Is that enough for proteien or is the meat & dairy necessary!

Dear Romijn
If you go on this 'Daniel Fast' for 21 days it will probably not have a very negative effect on your general health. However, if you constantly avoid milk and diary products you may develop a calcium deficiency, so I would recommend that you either start using up to 3 cups of milk or yoghurt per day or use a calcium supplement like Caltrate or Calcium Sandoz. Avoiding meat products can in turn lead to iron, zinc, vitamin B12 and protein deficiencies. If you do not substitute eggs and/or fish for the meat, it may also be prudent to take a complete vitamin and mineral supplement such as Supradyn Forte 2-3 times a week.
Good luck with the fast