Question
Posted by: Liza | 2004/10/21

Protein

I know that one needs protein to build and maintain muscle. I do intense weight training 3 times a week and 40 - 50 min cardio 3 times a week on alternative days. Is there a specific time one should take protein to fuel muscle or would 2 - 3 portions of protein be sufficient any time during the day?

Thanx for all the advice. Realy appreciated.

Hi Liza

There have been many studies to find out just how much protein you need. All the evidence seems to suggest that you need AT MOST 2 g per kilogram for males, 1.6 to 1.8 g per kilogram for females. So, for a woman weighing 70kg, you would need about 110 to 120 grams per day. You can pretty easily get this from normal diet, as long as you are eating meat. In vegetarians it can be a problem if they are not eating a well balanced vegetarian diet to compensate, but for most people it's unlikely that they will be deficient in protein from a normal diet. IN that regard then, I don't always see the need for protein milkshakes. There's probably no harm in taking the shake, even in addition to your normal diet, but just be aware that you are taking in extra energy and so if you are not careful, your weight will go up (think about what would happen if you ate a whole extra meal per day).