Question
Posted by: Jen | 2008/01/10

Prostate

My 56 year old husband had a prostate operation in November last year. It was enlarged (no cancer or anything) - he had it cleaned out. He doesn't ejaculate anymore. The specialist said this is normal and should "come back". What are the chances of this? My husband says that he get's the same feelings of orgasm, but no ejaculation. Pls explain this "dry ejaculation" and will this operation cause erectile disfunction? He had a problem before the operation and does an enlarged prostate cause erectile problems? Thank you

Dear Jen
What happens after a prostate operation often is that they get retrograde ejaculation, in other words the fluid goes backwards instead of coming out in front. Unless you are trying to get pregnant, this is not something to worry about and it usually comes right by itself! If he still gets a erection and gets an orgasm, he does not have erectile dysfunction. Enlarged prostate does not normally cause erectile dysfunction but rather problems with urine flow.
dr Bets

2
Posted by: Jen | 2008/01/10

Tnx SG...yep, we are loving and understanding...lol

Reply to Jen
Posted by: Sg | 2008/01/10

I'm no expert in this but was advised that if you actually remove the prostate then you do still ejaculate but not "externally" ie it goes straight into your (his) system.
As far I know if a normal "scrape" (as I think it is called),is done,then normal ejaculation will eventually happen.
Erectile dysfunction should also not occur from the op.I suppose having worked in a sensitive area might have some effects but all should be on track with a bit of understanding and love.

Reply to Sg