Question
Posted by: NK cells and INDERAL | 2004/01/04

PROPRANOLOL and Natural Killer Cell Activity

I would like to know whether beta-blockers have any effect on Natural Killer (NK) cell activity. I have heard that cigarettes can predispose one to cervical cancer, because they inhibit the activity of NK cells in the uterine cervix. I would like to know whether long term use of beta blockers (+- 20 years) could possibly have the same effect.

Expert ImagePharmacist

I have no literature available that mentions either of your concerns. The possibility exists for any type of medication, with or without the presence of smoking, may have previously undiscovered side effects.