Question
Posted by: Q | 2004/01/26

proper way of walking

Hi! I would like to know what the posture of one's body should be when walking for excerise. eg, walk straight up, swaying arms and also how to breath properly, etc. Also, what is the preferred distance/amount of time per day that a person should walk in order to lose weight? Thank you

Hi Q

I suggest you visit the www.worldofendurance.com website, and click on the running section. There you will also find some interesting articles on walking, correct techniques etc.
I would recommend you walk no less than 30 mins per day, and aim to build this up to 50 - 60 mins per day. A moderate walking speed is 6km/hour, but as you become fitter, you might even be able to walk at 8km per hour (pretty speedy).

If you are doing NOTHING right now, start off with 20 mins, four times a week, and gradually increase that to five times until you are walking daily, then start increasing the duration walked, with one day 20mins, alternating with a longer walk. Ultimately, you could aim to be doing, one day easy 30 mins, next day brisk 50mins, and alternate accordingly. If you are short of time, 30mins of brisk walking sshould do the trick.

I hope this helps.