Question
Posted by: Louisa | 2004/10/22

Proper pregnancy diet

I am 8 weeks pregnant and do not have a medical aid. I eat lots of vegetables, but almost no fruit and I am worried that my calcium intake may not be suffient, since I cannot stomach dairy products (milk, cheese, eggs, etc. makes me extremely nausious).

Is there any not too expensive supplements that I can take to ensure a healthy diet during my pregnancy?

Also, somebody mentioned that I should take folic acid during the first 3 months of pregnancy. What is it, in which foods is it found, how much should one take?

Thank you.

Dear Louise
Congratulations on your pregnancy. It is essential that you take a good calcium supplement which provides at least 1000 mg of calcium a day - try Calcium Sandoz or Caltrate. It is also a good idea to take folic acid (buy at the chemist) for the entire 9 months. Folic acid supplements are inexpensive. I hope you are under the guidance of a medical dr as you may need to have blood tests to check if your iron levels are normal and if not, to get an iron-folic acid supplement too. So please do you for a checkup to make sure that your mineral levels (calcium and iron) and vitamin levels (folic acid and other B vitamins) are adequate. Click on 'Diet' and "Eating throughout life' and read the articles on 'Pregnancy'.
Enjoy your pregnancy