Question
Posted by: bernard | 2005/01/04

PROM 25 weeks

My wife is 26 weeks preg and her water has broken due to rupture of the membrane. The doctor has advised complete bed rest. We need to get to 28 weeks for a 90% survival chance. Any information will be appreciated.

The risks are of going into labour or developing an infection. These can be lessened to some extent by taking antibiotics and having steroid injections to mature the lungs in case of early delivery. there will have to be very careful monitoring of the pulse and temperature to pick up any infection early. At 26 weeks, depending on where you are and what the facilities are, the chances of survival would be about 40-70% if she delivered now.

1
Posted by: Tilli | 2005/01/04

Hi Bernard, I unfortunately have no information, but I am also 26 weeks and just want to wish your wife and you and your little one all the best - I do also remeber reading a similiar story in a pregnancy magazine, it happened even earlier and all ended well.
Please tell your wife we are thinking of her - and hang in there! Move a CD player into her room so that she can listen to music, it does help one relax, I am sure her thoughts are all over the place! I am really enjoying "Music for Mummies" it is one of the Mozart Effect CD's.

All the very best!!

Reply to Tilli