Question
Posted by: Desert | 2003/12/12

Prolactin levels while pregnant

About two years ago my doctor diagnosed me with an underactive thyroid gland as well as PCOS. During this time he also mentioned that I have high levels of prolactin.

I am now 12 weeks pregnant, and I would like to know if these high levels of prolactin can effect the production of milk or could it have any other side effects that I should be concerned about. My breasts are very sore and painful at the moment. I know that this usually happens in pregnancy, but just wondering if the Prolactin leves could have anything to do with it.

Thank you kindly

The prolactin which is produced in pregnancy usually overtakes any increase in the pre-pregnancy prolactin. It si possible that you may start producing milk during the pregnancy but, unless this happens,I do not think you need be too concerned.