Question
Posted by: limbo | 2007/05/01

Prohexal and weight gain

I've been on 40mg Prohexal a day for over a year. I've never been thin but in the last year I've gradually picked up more than 15kg. I don't think I'm necessarily eating differently, although my therapy has been extremely stressful and I drink a lot. Is it all my fault or should I maybe change to another anti-depressant? Many thanks.

Dear Limbo
I have checked in my copy of MIMS that lists all the medications sold in SA at present and weight gain is not listed as one of the side-effects of ProHexal. In fact weight loss is mentioned instead. However, depression can cause severe weight gain, so I think it is important that you discuss this weight gain with the dr who is treating you for the depression. You mention that you 'drink a lot'. Do you mean alcohol? or water? if you drink alcohol then this could well be the reason why you have gained weight. 1 gram of alcohol provides 29 kJ, so it is the second in line to fat (37 kJ/gram), when it comes to weight gain. If you do drink a lot of alcohol (?) then please try to reduce this to having one drink every second day and eventually tapering it off completely. You can also try using an energy-reduced, low-fat, high-fibre diet (click on 'Diet' at the top of this page, 'Weight loss', ‘Balanced diet' and then on 'Slimming Diet' for a copy of such a diet), and increasing your energy output by doing regular exercise (running, jogging, skipping, cycling, swimming, join a gym or Walk for Life). Daily exercise not only helps to reduce weight, but also improves one's mood because it gives you a natural 'lift' due to chemicals called endorphins that are produced when we do exercise.