Question
Posted by: cityman | 2004/01/08

Programme to lose and tone

Hi Fitness Doc

I just need some advice on a programme I can use to lose some weight and then also tone muscles. I'm male 1.83m, 93 kgs. I do have a athletic build, widish shoulders so I do realise it makes it more difficult to lose weight.
I try to go to gym 3 times a week for about 45 - 55 minutes and i usually do cycling for about 20 minutes at a relatively high intensity and then do the circuit to finish up with approx 90 situps.
You have any suggestion on how I can lose weight without becoming flabby?
I would like to get to about 90 kgs or just under if possible.
Would appreciate your suggestions...

This is headed in the right direction. The one change that I would suggest to you is that you look at increase the proportion of cardio training, and also possibly adding one more day a week to the programme. The first suggestion would be to do cardio for about 10 to 20 minutes more each session. I would suggest cutting out the 90 situps for a start – I’m not sure that doing 90 will give you anymore benefit than doing 20 on the circuit. If you are concerned that this is too few, then what you can do is to grab a weight from the free weight session, and hold it to your chest when you do the situps in the circuit.. However, I do think that the main thing is to increase the cardio from the current 20 minutes to 30 or 40 minutes, even if you have to drop the intensity just slightly. You might do this twice a week, and stick to your current programme on the other day.

Then, the second suggestion is just to add one more day in there. At the moment, it’s three days a week, and I would have suggested 4 or 5 times a week for optimal results. Perhaps on a weekend, you could add one more day in there – it doesn’t need to be anything drastic, but just a 30 to 40 minute session, and you could even considering walking or jogging, if getting into the gym is much of a mission.

4
Posted by: Cityman | 2004/01/13

Thanks Doc. Will try to drag myself to gym for an extra day! Phew - gonna be hard! But will try!

Reply to Cityman
Posted by: ca | 2004/01/09

Hey, this is what i do, 1 day 5 min run warm up, then full supercircuit, then abs, the next day, weight training on entire body but only one excercise/body part, but do them slowly with concentration, thereafter a 20 min run, the next day is a rest day,ie: 2 days on 1 day off. I do many light reps on the supercircuit making sure i use the machines correctly without cheating. This may not work for others but does for me and i've been in this game for a while, at the end of the day, every person is different and has different needs.

Funnily enough i've also found that supplements are an absolute waste of time and expense, keep ur protein highish by way of good foods and the bad carbs low, most protein shakes say they have zero fat which is true but have a look at the kj's per 100g, and trust me 75% of that is sugar. Hope this helps. Let men know and goodluck.
ca

Reply to ca
Posted by: cityman | 2004/01/09

Hi Ca

Thanks will try that. Do I need to ignore weight training in total (which I'm doing at the moment) since I'm not really interested in building additional muscle but rather to tone the current mostly? And what kind of reps would you suggest on the super circuit? And what would be the ideal exercises to combine with 20 mins cycling? The super circuit?
Looking forward to the reply!
Thx
cityman

Reply to cityman
Posted by: ca | 2004/01/08

Hi Cityman,
Have u ever used the 'super' circuit not just the circuit, i believe it's a very underated tool to cut and tone, u r getting ur cardio and resistence training mixed in a relatively short period of time. Obviously not every day otherwise u'll kill urself but perhaps every 2nd or 3rd with something else on the alternative days. It has worked miacles on me and that's a fact.
ca

Reply to ca