Question
Posted by: Worried | 2007/04/10

Progesterone results & Clomid

Dear Dr

I am 30 years old and we have been trying to conceive for 9 months. I had my first 21-day Progesterone test done on 28 Feb 2007 and the count was 0,5 – thus I was not ovulating. My gynae prescribed Clomid 50mg which I started 2 days ago on day 3 of my new cycle. On 30 March I again had the 21-day Progesterone test done and received the results today and the count is 33,3.

My gynae is too busy to get back to my queries and can only give me an appointment at the end of April, thus please advise on the following questions:

1.My understanding is that in order to ovulate, a count of 20+ is necessary, I thus I presume I have ovulated during my previous cycle?
2.Should I stop Clomid? Or continue with it and finish the prescribed medication for this month only of for 3 months as initially prescribed?
3.Is it dangerous to continue Clomid if not necessary as shown by my latest bloodtest?
4.Do you think it’s still necessary to go for 21-day progesterone test to monitor the progesterone and for record-keeping purposes?
5.Do you recommend that I also make use of an ovulation predictor kit?

Thank you in advance for attending to all these questions!

1. Correct
2. I would suggest that you finish this course of Clomid now that you have started it.
3. If you take Clomid and you are ovulating , you could be overstimulated.
4. It would be a good idea to have the Day 21 progesterone this month.
5. ideally, your doctor should scan you to see when you ovulate.