Question
Posted by: Nadine | 2007/11/26

Progesterone reading and egg quality

Dear Dr Dasoo

I am 36 years old and am ttc for 7 yrs. I had 3 x AI and 2 x IVF's, with no success. The last IVF had to be aborted due to "poor response".
Subsequently, a blood test indicated a FSH of 15.5.
MY FS said that my egg quality is very poor.

After a few reflexology treatments, my FSH (D3) came down to 7.9
and during the same cycle my progesterone level on D22 (D21 was on a Sunday) was 51.4. my cycle is now regularly 28/29 days. Previously, it was 31-34 days.
In all previous testings, my progesterone levels were in low 20's

Does this mean that my egg quality has improved.and that my chances are good.

Thanks for your input.

Dear Nadine

The fact that you had a high FSH level before and that you had been a poor responder in two previous IVF cycles generally would indicate that in subsequently cycles you may still be a poor responder.The fact that your FSH has come down to 7.9 and that your are now spontaneously ovulating does not necessarily mean that your egg quality may have improved. The only way to access for your response for stimulation as well as the quality of the eggs would be attempt another cycle and when the oocytes are retrieved to access the quality at that stage.