Posted by: Tanya | 2008/10/08

Progesterone and Oestragen readings

I recently went and had my pregesterone and oestrogen levels checked through a blood test with pathcare, as advised by my nutritionalist. This is not for infertility, but due to IBS which flares up during my periods.

Could you please tell me what these levels mean .

17B Oestradiol (E2) 532 pmol .L

Progesterone 47.4 nmol .L

I just wish to find out if they are balanced or if I have a progesterone deficiency which is leading to my problems.

I am 38 years old, have two kids aged 6 and 8. I had the test done on the 7th October and my next period is due in about a week.

Dear Tanya

As this is not a fertility related problem I would not be able to give you an expert opinion. However looking at your blood results, your estrogen levels appears to be normal and so does your progesterone. You do not appear to have a progesterone deficiency at all. I also have not come across any links as to progesterone deficiency and irritable bowl syndrome.

Answered by: Dr. Y. Dasoo

Posted by: Dee | 2008/10/09

From those results it seems that you have ovulated and your progesterone level is excellent, you do not have a deficency. estrogen level doesnt really tell you much, est level change thru the cycle but a level around ovulation (which is round about when you went?) should be above 400, below 100 indicates menopause is approaching so it doesnt look like that to me. I think those results are good but Im not sure why prog deficency would flare up IBS?

Reply to Dee