Question
Posted by: curlylu | 2008/01/12

progesterone

Dear Fertility Expert

I've just been to the Doctor to get some fertility treatment. Im having a problem conceiving and this is very frustrating for me.
My husband and I will be married four years this year and still no sign of a baby. My doctor ran some test and found out that my progesterone level was way too low. Is there a possibility that I could fall pregnant even though my progesterone level is so low
without the help of fertility treatment. Please help!

Dear Curlylu

The low progesterone is an indirect indicator of some form of ovulation problem and therefore may require further investigation. There are numerous causes of ovulatory problems including metabolic syndromes (PCOS – obesity) as well as other hormonal problems including thyroid, prolactin abnormalities etc. Occasionally once diagnosis is made, life style changes and dietary manipulation may be all that is necessary in some patient’s example: metabolic syndrome. However in other more advanced problems intervention is necessary and fertility treatment certainly becomes essential. Furthermore it would be extremely valuable to have your husbands sperm test done to ensure that there is no male factor problem contributing to the fertility issue.